Thursday, January 15, 2009

Sweet and Sour Chicken

I found this recipe at Dinner's Ready, a handy resource for when I don't know what to cook or am looking for something new. I had everything on hand (and it's all pantry/freezer standard supplies) which is shocking-for me anyway. This chicken was not only easy, but DELICIOUS!! 5 out of 5 taste testers approved and most of us were drooling over it. :) It seriously tastes like we ordered out. Next time I'll be more prepared and have some egg rolls and fortune cookies on hand.

Sweet and Sour Chicken

2-3 chicken breasts
1/2 c. flour
1/4 c. cornstarch
salt and pepper
3/4 c. sugar
1/3 c. chicken broth
1/3 c. ketchup
1 1/4 TBSP soy sauce

Preheat oven to 350. Cut chicken into strips (I like mine cubed). Mix cornstarch, flour, salt, and pepper. Shake chicken and coat evenly. Fry in cooking oil over med-high until just starting to brown (don't overcook). Combine remaining ingredients to make a sauce. Pour over chicken, then cover and cook for 45 minutes. Serve over cooked rice.

I happened to have some frozen red and green peppers and a can of pineapple on hand. I threw those in as well before baking so that I would have a one-dish type meal. Kids didn't eat the vegetables, but Jeff and I thought they were great in there.

No comments: