Tuesday, February 10, 2009

Valentines Cake


Technically, it's Lyndsi's birthday cake, but it's definitely Valentine-themed. This was SO easy to do. The cake is just a white Pillsbury cake mix baked in two rounds and then stacked on top of each other. A filling would be great, but I opted for straight cake. I frosted with buttercream frosting tinted light pink. (Wilton has a great, easy recipe.) For the heart, I did a google image search for a heart outline, resized it in Word, and cut it out. Then I layed it on top of the frosted cake and used a toothpick to outline. I tinted what was left of my frosting a darker shade of pink (using the Wilton food colors) and frosted inside the heart.


All the brown piping and lettering is done with chocolate. That's right ladies-CHOCOLATE!! I saw this idea on Martha's website (I think) and had to try it. Just melt your melting chocolate pieces (found at the craft stores), put in a decorator bag and pipe away. It was really easy and actually seemed to work more smoothly than piping icing.


This would be a fun dessert for your loved ones come this Saturday. Enjoy!!

1 comment:

Karamie Maynes said...

It looks amazing! I love that you take on so many projects and do them so well. How do you make time for all the things you accomplish?! Well, as usual I'm very impressed, only now I just want a piece of the cake-Lyndsi’s so lucky to have you as her Mom!