Tuesday, March 3, 2009

Smoothies

My cousin has started her own cooking blog and shared these favorite smoothie recipes. Trust me. Try these once and you'll never need to pay $5 for a smoothie again! For me, I'm on a constant search for something that sounds appealing for breakfast and these hit the spot. The only thing I do differently is toss in a handful of spinach for some extra vitamins. Sound gross?? It's not. I can't tell it's there and even better when I use mixed berries my kids have no clue they're getting their leafy greens! Gotta love hidden veggies. The basic recipe goes as follows:

2 c. ice
1 1/4 c. guava nectar (available at walmart for about $1.50 and lasts a while)
1/2 c. vanilla or strawberry yogurt
1 packet vanilla flavored carnation instant breakfast
1 banana
1 c. frozen fruit
*1 big handful of spinach

Blend 1st 4 ingredients till smooth. Add banana and spinach and blend. Finally toss in your yummy fruit and blend till smooth once more. (Are my instructions feeling a bit repetitive?) Serves 4.

*If using fruit other than dark berries, be sure to inform your kids that it is "Shrek's Swamp Sludge" or other gross concoction to ensure they drink it. ;)

I've also used Popsicle molds to freeze smoothies for a fast, easy on-the-go breakfast/snack.

For some great combinations visit
Kinikini Kuisine.

No comments: