Thursday, July 26, 2007

Crock Pot Chicken

This is my all-time favorite chicken and rice recipe. It's moist. It's loaded with flavor. Best of all, it has the added appeal of a fix-it and forget-it meal! Now, one thing about my cooking, if I don't have something on hand I try to substitute with something I do have, thus saving me time, energy and sanity of last minute trips to the store. This recipe is a classic example of me changing the recipe (I know you are laughing to yourself, Jeff). It calls for cream cheese but I sometimes substitute sour cream. I also sometimes substitute the Italian dressing powder for ranch, and cream of mushroom for cream of chicken. Anyway you do this dish, it turns out delicious. Add some fresh, hot rolls and a side of steamed veggies with a little butter and fresh lemon squeezed on top and you have a meal fit for a king!

CROCK POT CHICKEN

2 T. margarine
6 chicken breasts
1/2 c. water
1 pkg. Italian dressing (powder)
1 can cream of mushroom
8 oz cream cheese

Melt butter. Add chicken and pour water on top. Cook 6 hours. Take chicken out. Place in soup, dressing mix, and cream cheese.* Mix until melted. Cut up chicken and add back into pot. Heat 30 minutes and serve over rice.

*It is important that you wait until the last 30 minutes to add the cream cheese (or sour cream if you opt for that). If you try and cook it all together, it will start to curdle and have a funny consistency.

No comments: